It’s that time again everyone! Oh yes! That time when my eyes cannot stay clear of the sad looking bananas in the supermarket that are crying out to be utilised in something sweet and yummy. If you’ve followed me for a while, you will know that means the ever faithful banana flapjacks! I can just picture you all now cheering and smiling at your phones! Or rolling your eyes at the fact that yes, Leanne is still obsessed with adding spotty bananas to things (sorry, not sorry).
With training very much at its most intense for a while (and enjoyable!) and snacking very much at a peak as well, I wanted to create something that was super quick to throw together and just as speedy to grab as a snack, or pimp out at breakfast time. The best part? They combine two ingredients that are just made for each other like Romeo and Juliet; chocolate and hazelnuts. This time, however, the chocolate is in the form of protein powder. This does give a slightly different chocolate taste (obviously) and a different texture to my previous banana flapjack creations (they are a little more dense), but they still hit all the right spots you desire from a filling snack! Let’s bake!
How to Make Chocolate and Hazelnut Protein Flapjacks
Makes: 9 squares
Total time: less than 30 minutes
Per Serving (approximate):
- 170 calories
- 21g carbohydrates
- 4.8g fat, of which saturates 0.6g
- 3g sugar
- 9.4g protein
- Mixing bowl
- Food processor/blender/Nutri-bullet, etc. (if you do not have these, a tea towel and rolling pin will do the trick!)
- Lined 8″x8″ baking tin
- 200g overripe bananas
- 30g skin off hazelnuts
- 30g dark chocolate chips
- 70g chocolate flavoured protein powder (I used ‘My Vegan Dark Chocolate’)
- 250g rolled oats
- Pre heat oven to 180c.
- Mash the bananas in the large mixing bowl.
- Add the oats and protein powder to the mashed bananas.
- Blitz the hazelnuts in your chosen processor to small chunks and add to the mixing bowl, along with the chocolate chips. If using a tea towel and rolling pin, put the hazelnuts on one half of the towel and fold the other half over, and bash with the rolling pin.
- Start to combine all the ingredients in the bowl, adding splashes of water to bring it to a smooth consistency without being too loose.
- Smooth out the mixture into the baking tin and bake for 12 minutes.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack before cutting into 9 squares to enjoy!
- STORE: keep in an airtight container for up to a week in the fridge. You can also pop the flapjacks into the freezer too if you don’t manage to eat them all!
A chocolate hit in less than half an hour! Plus, they are unintentionally vegan too! I love enjoying them as an afternoon snack when hunger strikes, but also as an extra filling breakfast to kick-start the day. My go to is adding thick Greek yoghurt and fruits, such as strawberries and blueberries, as they are also best friends with chocolate and add a kick of sweetness!
P.S. This recipe is not endorsed etc. by My Vegan or My Protein; I just enjoy their products and using them in different ways!